Tuesday, April 3 - 'We Say No More' Rally / Sinclair-Tribune Merger / Deputy Registrar Training
Actions You Can Take Today
- Action 1: 'We Say No More' Rally on MLK Assassination 50th Anniversary - Wednesday 4/4
Action 2: Push Back Against the Sinclair-Tribune Merger
Action 3: Attend Deputy Voter Registrar training - Monday, April 9 from 7 pm to 8 pm in Andersonville
Action 1: 'We Say No More' Rally on MLK Assassination 50th Anniversary
I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed, without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today – my own government. ― Martin Luther King Jr. , (assassinated April 4, 1968)
On the 50th anniversary of Dr. King’s assassination, we are reminded of the movement’s unfinished agenda against militarism, racism and poverty. Come stand with multiple Chicago groups, including Black Lives Matter Chicago, Resist Reimagine Rebuild Chicago, BYP 100, and many others in demanding justice for those brutalized and killed by those in authority...
- STOP STATE AND POLICE VIOLENCE
- STOP ECONOMIC VIOLENCE
- STOP SEXUAL VIOLENCE, SCHOOL AND STREET VIOLENCE
- STOP ICE AND END THE RACIST GANG DATABASE
- REINVEST IN SCHOOLS AND SERVICES
- COMMUNITY BENEFITS AGREEMENT FOR THE SOUTH SIDE
When: Wednesday, April 4th, 6 pm to 7:15 pm
Where: Daley Plaza (50 W Washington St, Chicago, IL 60602)
RSVP and share the event on Facebook
Action 2: Push Back against the Sincliar-Tribune merger
On Saturday, Deadspin released a chilling video showing how Sinclair Broadcast Group forces local news anchors representing multiple networks to parrot a speech that supports Trump's "fake news" propaganda. If you have not seen the video on Twitter or Facebook, take a moment to watch it now, and share it for others to see.
Sinclair Broadcasting, a right-wing-leaning media company, has been working to acquire Tribune Media in order to expand its reach. Already the nation's largest TV broadcast company, Sinclair's potential merger would extend its reach to a colossal 72% of U.S. households. Though Congress imposed an audience cap of 39% on media companies, the FCC approved new rules that would help Sinclair proceed with its expansion. This is troubling due to the company's practice of forcing local news stations to air segments, often hosted by former Trump aide Boris Epshteyn, that are filled with extreme right-wing propaganda. This practice not only injects inaccurate and partisan rhetoric into the news media at a dangerously effective level, it also imposes excessive control over local news stations, all without viewers knowing what is going on.
Together we've taken several actions against this merger since 2017:
- Called FCC Chairman Agit Pai to not change the rules to help Sinclair
- Submitted Public Comments to the FCC against the aquisition
- Called our Members of Congress to push against the FCC approval
- Listened to the Podcast episode about Sinclair and
- Signed the Sports Fan Petition against the merger (It's not just right-wing propaganda... sports fans are hit particularly hard when Sinclair buys a station)
Our actions, and those of concerned citizens across the country have slowed the process...
- The FCC was forced to pause its review of the merger. It remains paused.
- The FCC Inspector General is now investigating Agit Pai's ties to Sinclair and for possibly misusing his power to the broadcaster's benefit.
- Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan joined with other state AGs and sent a letter opposing the relaxation of the rules that help Sinclair.
- 38 Lawmakers, including representatives of Illinois, urged the DOJ to reject the merger.
But the process continues.
If you have not already taken our actions above, please do so now (but don't re-submit FCC comments or petitions). Do share the video on Twitter and Facebook to help further raise awareness of the terrible impact the expansion of Sinclair represents. And keep checking our daily actions for future actions we can take together.
Action 3: Attend Deputy Voter Registrar Training on 4/9
Looking to make an impact in the upcoming elections? By becoming a Deputy Voter Registrar, you’ll be able to register new voters to help make a difference in the important elections this November. Join us for Deputy Voter Registrar training next Monday!
When: Monday, April 9 from 7 pm to 8 pm
6 pm - 7 pm: grassroots Meet & Greet
7 pm - 8 pm Deputy Voter Registration Training (you must provide Chicago voter address below at least 2 days prior to event)
Where: Vincent Chicago (1475 W Balmoral)
RSVP here. You must RSVP to attend this training.
To attend the training, you must be registered to vote in the city of Chicago.