Tuesday, December 4 - Phone Bank for Wisconsin Dems / Gifts for Gun Violence Victims / ACA Phone Bank
Actions You Can Take Today
Action 2: Drop off gifts for children touched by gun violence before Friday, December 7
Action 3: Phone bank for ACA open enrollment on December 4, 5, 11, and 12 in Oak Park
Blue Beginning Chicago event: Wednesday, December 5 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 1250 S. Michigan Avenue.
Action 1: URGENT - Phone Bank for Wisconsin Dems
Wisconsin needs our help! The GOP is attempting a big undemocratic, power grab in Wisconsin RIGHT NOW, trying to jam through bills that attempt to invalidate the election by stripping the new Democratic governor of power and invalidate voter initiatives. We need all hands on deck!
No matter where you are, you can call Wisconsin voters in key areas to tell them what's going on and urge them to call their state senators TODAY from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Action via Ben Wikler
Action 2: Gifts for Children Touched by Gun Violence
The holidays are a tough time for anyone who’s lost a loved one during the year. It’s especially painful for children who've lost family members to gun violence. Help Chicago Survivors provide a happier holiday by donating gifts for these children and their families before Friday, December 7.
1. Purchase a gift or gifts for a specific child. Recommended: one practical gift (hat, clothes, or book) and one fun gift totaling about $25 per child. You’ll get details about the child once you sign up.
2. Donate a $25 gift card to Target, Jewel or Walmart. We provide one gift card to each family to provide a holiday meal.
3. Donate extra gifts, gloves, and hats for children that attend the event but were unable to sign up. These extra gifts ensure that any children who attend this holiday event will leave with a gift.
Gifts should be delivered to one of the following locations:
· Plumbers Union, 1340 W Washington Blvd, Chicago, on Friday, December 7 between noon and 8 p.m.
· Chicago Survivors, 5600 S. Woodlawn, 4th floor, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. through Thursday December 6 (312.488.9222)
· North-side early drop offs (by Thursday, December 6) to Betsy Berry: 3740 N. Lake Shore Dr., Unit 11A (leave with doorman)
Action via Blue Beginning
Action 3: Phone Bank for ACA Open Enrollment
The current administration has tried to sabotage the Affordable Care Act (ACA) in multiple ways, including making it more difficult for people to sign up for health insurance by:
1. Shortening the open enrollment period from 3 months to just six weeks.
2. Enforcing "downtimes" for maintenance of the healthcare.gov website every Sunday (except the last Sunday of the open enrollment period) from 12 a.m. to 12 p.m..
3. Cutting back significantly on advertisements and outreach efforts to remind Americans about the enrollment period.
This is why we need everyone to spread the word! The last day to sign up or make changes to your insurance from the marketplace is December 15.
Indivisible Oak Park is joining the Legal Assistance Foundation to phone bank for the open enrollment period:
Tuesday, December 4 at 6 p.m.
Wednesday, December 5 at 6 p.m.
Tuesday, December 11 at 6 p.m.
Wednesday, December 12 at 6 p.m.
During this phone bank, you will have the chance to connect with a targeted group of LAF's clients to remind them about the enrollment period, and to direct them to the healthcare.gov website or make an appointment for them with a Certified Application Counselor (CAC). Please bring your cellphone and a laptop or tablet if possible.